Monday, January 31, 2005

Weekend Recap

Alright, I was going to do this earlier, but I fell asleep. Stupid sleep schedule is still way off for me.

Anyway, Friday Knight Fever went pretty well!

Friday's show was the best, save for a music glitch. The kids were spot on with their lines, the audience was responsive, and the "Love Song" in the show was great. All of the goofy effects that made it a fun number worked -- mainly, the bubble machine. The audience loved it, the kids had a great time, and all was well.

Saturday's show didn't go quite as well. It was still pretty good, but during one of the scenes there was a huge pause full of dead air in the third scene of the first act. Also, during intermission someone (no clue who) turned off the bubble machine. So those poor kids had to due this incredibly sappy love song without the effect that made it bearable to do. Otherwise, though, it was fine. The kids enjoyed it.

Sunday. Sunday, Sunday, Sunday. Well, about half the cast had a fever so it was very low energy. The same bit of dead air was there, but not as long as the previous day, and once again the bubbles didn't work. We had PROMISED them bubbles, since we tested it before the show and they DID work. Turned out, someone went and unplugged the thing. Grr.

Oh! The best thing about Sunday's show. There was a little girl in the cast who ended up in the hospital after the last dress rehearsal to have her appendix removed, so she'd missed the first two shows...but thank goodness, she made it to the last one!

A few top memories from this show:
-The girl playing Miss Buttercup, the school Secretary, kept getting more and more over the top every night. By the end of the show, she was one of my favorite kids to watch.
-The girl who played one of the boy punks, who had NO clue how to do it. At one point, she stood with her legs far apart to point at someone while delivering a line, and then hopped and SNAPPED her legs back together. Real close. It made me laugh every time.
-One boy, who was a 5th grader that I've worked with since 3rd grade. He used to be a really sour kid who never looked like he had any fun. This year, he was friendly, outgoing, and always willing to play. He even gave me a huge hug after the last show.
-One of the girls who I've worked with before, and I know needed Special Ed. classes at the time. She's grown SO much in the past year, that it was honestly shocking. I was so impressed with her.

Hopefully, the production team will decide that my mom and I are NOT the evil team of nay-sayers that they must've thought we were...and that I'll be able to do this again next year. I love working with these kids, and one of them started to cry when I said I wasn't sure if I'd be back next year.

No comments: