Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Eye Exam Fun!

On the way back from the Glenn Miller event, the following conversation (sorta) occured while trying to find the freeway home.

The Boy: We need 880, so keep your eyes open.
Me: Okie. ::squints at road signs:: uhh...
The Boy: Oh, there it is!
Me: ...You can read that!?
THe Boy: Yep!
Me: Okay, so you can read that with your new laser eyes....and I can't read it with my glasses. ::takes off glasses and peers at them:: When did that become fair?

So, today I went and got to meet my new eye doctor....who I LOVE. He was personable and talkative, he asked questions and was interested in things I had to say, and he was patient as all get out. I have a huge problem with the glacauma test, where they poof air in your eyes (at least they've gotten gentler), and my last eye doctor's staff got mad at me when I kept flinching and/or blinking due to being tense about having something that close to my eyes. This guy was very sweet about it and I was calm enough so that I only had to do three retakes....apparently, he has a special needs son and that would definitely attribute to his patience. :)

When he was doing the "Better 1....or 2?" part of the exam for my left eye, he had a lense up that was pretty darn clear, and swapped it out to one that was completely blurred by comparison.

Doc: Any change when I do this? ::flip::
Me: No way in hell I can read that line now.
Doc: That's what your glasses are, currently.
Me: ....Wha?? I didn't know they were that off!

It was weird. Also weird was when he let me play with a little monocle thing that was solid except for a slit in it, to show me something cool with my astigmatism. Angled infront of my one left eye (the one with the worse astigmatism) a certain way and the chart was somewhat clear...clearer than normal, actually. But if you rotated it 90 degrees, it became totally blurred. It was SO weird!

So, all in all....I'm not sure what my vision is in relation to 20/20....don't think that actually came up....but I found out that I'm somewhat nearsighted in my right eye, and the astigmatism in my left eye is more warped than my right. So I'm getting new lenses and frames with the tweaked perscription. I'm actually going to go for a new look and go with totally rim-less glasses, instead of the half-rim frames I have now. I'll post pics when I have those!

Other News:
Took my bike over to The Boy's to get it looked at, since it hasn't been used in about 5-6 years...and I've had it for over 10...and it seriously needed looking over before it would be rideable. Apparently, while it's not totally beyond repair, it's definitely not safe and was put together with shoddy construction. We got various bits lubed up and tweaked other bits (I don't know the technicalities behind it...if I did, I would've been able to work on it myself, I bet!) so that it's.....well, somewhat safer for street riding, I guess. All in all, it might just make more sense to get a new one that isn't too expensive, since I'd like to start biking around again and maybe even attempt some tame trails while I regain my certainty with riding a bike.

A Change of Plans:
Due to The Boy's grandpa not doing well, he'll be going down to L.A. to spend some time with him and other family members. Because of all of that, no one will be around this weekend to cook for the first night of Passover...so his parents are moving their dinner to Wednesday. Also, The Boy and I decided it'd probably be better if I don't go to the Tuesday dinner at a different family's house...since with the previous plans, it made a bit more sense. Meet the parents, then see them again in a less one-on-one situation the next night. If I went to Tuesday, then Wednesday, it would feel a little....backwards. And they wouldn't have been able to grill me properly. :P

So yes. I still get to meet them, and have the dinner with them, but it's just on Wednesday instead of two days in the week. I feel a little less intimidated now, actually.

No comments: