Friday, February 25, 2005

Idiots shouldn't be allowed to have pets

Took Dhougal, my border collie, to the Dog Park today. I try to make it once a week when the weather's nice. All was fine for awhile. There were a few pit mix pups about Dhougal's age, and a cute little pug named Oliver there. Then, demon dogs showed up.

Well, it's not fair to call them that. The owners obviously have NOT spent ANY time training them. But anyway.

These two dogs were, to put it bluntly, nasty. The bigger one (looked like a rottie mix, I think...never got close enough to check) had a cloth muzzle on when he got there, and would still rush at dogs while snarling and barking. The smaller one (chihuahua/terrier, I believe) had just as mean in a much smaller body. Then, the owners took the muzzle off. As soon as I saw that, I put Dhougal back on his leash and went to hang outside of the fence.

There was a plus, though. Outside of the fence, there were other areas that were part of the school's 4H club, I guess. There was a fenced in area with goats moseying around in there. Dhougal and I stopped to watch them, and after a moment he started to bark at them. At first, all of those goats were scattered around in the pen, and after Dhougal's barking they were all together in a herd! I was very impressed, since he'd NEVER done it before!

About 10 minutes after the untrained out of control dogs showed up, the owners finally got some sense and left. Dhougal and I played around for about another half hour before coming home.

But seriously: DO NOT take your dogs to an OFF LEASH DOG PARK if you know they're that badly untrained. And if for some unknown reason you do, keep the muzzle on and for God's sake, do NOT spend the whole time on your goddam cell phone.

Sheesh.

No comments: