Monday, April 09, 2007

My Interesting Life

I had such an interesting weekend! Sadly, I don't have a great amount of time to type up everything, so I'll summarize.

On Saturday, The Boy and I drove up to the house of one of his friends up off of the Russian River for an event dubbed "The Bunny Burn." Apparently, this woman and her family/friends have been holding this event for 10 years, where they would build a big ol' bunny effigy filled with paper and fireworks, a gianormous bonfire, and then burn it all up while the gathered company dances and sings animal songs while wearing masks. That part was exactly as awesome as you can picture it being.

The weather was kinda grey and foggy when we got there, and it had rained before we got there, but it was still really pretty there. We were the first folk there, so actually we got put to work and helped clean and set up for the event. I wanted to help with the harder labor, but my ankle was still healing so that I couldn't be quite as useful as I'd have liked to be. My task was pretty much keeping The Boy company while clearing the yard, helping him build the bonfire so that it didn't collapse in on itself, and staple-gunning bunny heads to walls. Don't worry, they were PAPER bunny heads. ;-)

This year's bunny was pretty much sewn together fabric that was stuffed with paper and fireworks, so it went up REALLY quick once it caught fire....but the actual bonfire stayed up and lasted a good long time. There was much fun down there on the beach with glowsticks, singing, dancing, and burning. Once that fire died out, we moved up from the beach to the yard and continued visiting and made s'mores. Mmmmms'mores. And once we were all tuckered out, we climbed into our tent down by the beach for sleep.

Whew.

Sunday morning, we were up at about 8 or so. The Boy took one of the kayaks up the river into the "downtown" area, but I wasn't quite awake enough to be up to it, so I stuck around on the beach to do some exploring, went up to the house and grabbed a nice hot soy chai latte, and settled down to look at the prettiness back down at the river. I got divebombed by a hummingbird a bunch of times (it swooped about 10 times, I think), saw a huge turkey vulture across the river, AND! And I saw a river otter swimming around. That was way cool.

Around 1:30, we headed back here to get cleaned up, grab a catnap, and scurry off to my parentals for Easter dinner with my brother and his wife, my sister, my niece, her new boy-toy, and my mom's friend's family. There was much joyous chatting, joking, teasing, eating, and general good times had by all.

I'm vera tired, have an urge to exercise while simultaneously wanting to just snuggle up and watch a movie. But, I have to flee now and get a bikerack and the junk-bike off of my car before leaving for school. Hope everyone else had a wonderful weekend! Oh yeah, and happy-belated-Zombie-Jesus-Day!

No comments: