Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Generally Happy Kitola

Last night was much fun.

The Boy and I went to this restaurant and bar called "The Blue Pheasant" for dinner and dancing....which I'd been to before, but had forgotten about. He really needed the outting after some very stressy/hectic three weeks at work ("The sky's been falling," as he puts it) and I've been feeling cabin feverish due to the cold that I'm FINALLY over (save for the annoying cough), so I poked around until I found something that said it had food and dancing. Metroactive.com said this place had "Big band, swing, 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's" music, and their website had said something about a wide range of dance music -- "from swing and ballroom to hip-hop and salsa, and even some good ol' rock and roll." So, I suggested it, and he agreed it sounded like a great idea. And I finally had a reason to break out my new swing dance dress!

Dinner was yummy, he had something they called a lamb steak, and I had the special of petrale (my very favorite fish) in crab sauce. He even offered to buy wine....I'm not much of a drinker, but I'll take some white zinfandel when it's offered. After deciding to pass on dessert (we couldn't even finish what we had), we went over to the bar/dancing part of it.

The dancing was very different than most other dancing I've done. First of all, it was pretty crowded when we started dancing (around 9, I think), probably due to the fact that there were two birthdays being celebrated, and most of these people were 35 or older. The music also wasn't really what I expected from the descriptions -- meaning, it was primarily disco and 80s music. Well, you'd be amazed by what you can swing dance to! Later on, it was so crowded you could barely move on the dance floor (at least with the couple-dancing we were doing....if you were just sorta spazz-dancing, I guess there was enough room) and it was freakishly LOUD. So, being the "boring" people we are, we called it a night at 10:30 and went back to The Boy's. Ha, best conversation happened in the car, though, as we marveled at the sound difference.

Him: .......It's quiet....
Me: ........Yeah...
Both: .......
Me: ...Except for the ringing in my ears.
Him: I was about to say that!

Back at his place...well, I'll say this: I'm a sucker for candles, soft music, and slow dancing in the dim lighting. ::Swoon::



As for less than happy things: The Boy's work decided he needs to be in Florida this week....and the latest flight out he could get was 7 in the morning on Sunday. So he's going to miss seeing my show. He really doesn't want to miss it and is really upset that the trip is not only messing up his plan to do that, but also that it's keeping him away on Valentine's Day. I'm completely bummed out too, but at least I know it isn't his fault and he would rather be here.

At least last night was exceptionally splendiferous. And having that memory, as well as knowing that The Boy had the fun night that he needed and deserved, is what makes me happy despite the sad stuff about Florida.

No comments: